In 1872, President Ulysses S. Grant signed the Yellowstone National Park Protection Act, creating the first national park in the world: Yellowstone National Park.
The idea of national parks was born out of a desire to protect and preserve America’s natural wonders, which were rapidly being destroyed by settlement, logging, mining, and other forms of development. The creation of Yellowstone National Park was a major milestone in the conservation movement, and it set a precedent for the establishment of other national parks.
Over the next several decades, other national parks were established, including Yosemite, Sequoia, and General Grant (now Kings Canyon) National Parks in California, and Mount Rainier National Park in Washington State. These early national parks were primarily focused on preserving natural landscapes, but as the national park system grew, it also came to include historical and cultural sites.
Today, the United States National Park System includes more than 400 areas that encompass over 84 million acres across the country. These areas include national parks, monuments, historic sites, seashores, and recreation areas. National parks are now established not only to preserve natural beauty, but also to commemorate important events and cultural heritage, and to provide recreational opportunities for visitors. The National Park Service manages and preserves these areas for the enjoyment of present and future generations.
Your Guide to the National Parks– hiking, guides, and more!
Buy here: National Park Foundation Blankets
- SUPER COZY WARM: A 20D ripstop nylon shell blocks out wind and cold while 650 Fill Power Down insulation keeps you cozy and warm inside for a very important good night sleep. As a backpacking and campers dream, the snaps turn this cozy outdoor adventure blanket into a warm poncho for even the coldest mountain nights to complement your sleeping bag, hammock, or your sleeping pad. Get a coveted great night sleep in your favorite park.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PACKABLE: At just over 1 LB with the stuff sack, we brought a small camping accessory packed loaded literally with warmth insulation to make sure you get the most out of your pack out. Stuff able blankets mean you can fit an extra item in your pack without sacrificing a great night. Choose the Poly fill for day camping, outdoor excursions, truck camping or choose our even more compact down fill for the ultimate backpacking space saving experience.
- WATER & ODOR RESISTANT: The Parks ultimate outdoor insulated blanket has a DWR coating making it water, odor, and stain-resistant. This blanket repels dirt, sand, spilled drinks, pet hair, and more.
- WEARABLE SNAPS: This one-person blanket is wearable and connectable! The snaps allow you to wear your blanket in a quick hurry so you can make food, add logs to the fire, or drink your beverage all while staying warm in your favorite outdoor environment. The corner loops allow you to stake the blanket into the ground or use the snaps to integrate perfectly with your camping friend’s blanket too!
- THE OFFICAL NATIONAL PARK FOUNDATION: These are the ONLY blankets specifically made for NPF with official parks artwork. Our designers worked with Americas foundation for authentic, true, and (might we splurge and say), beautiful artwork that communicates the heart of your favorite outdoor destination. Pick the park that you spend the most time in, or your dream park.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.